Single word yields best result

Football News: Review Of The Day 26th August 2019

Review Of The Day 26th August 2019
Image from: freelargeimages.com

Review of the Day

 


Contracts

German striker Timo Werner has extended his contract with RB Leipzig until 2023. I hope it comes with ear plugs...

 


Transfers

Kayserispor have taken Cameroon winger Paul-Georges Ntep on loan from VfL Wolfsburg.

 


Mellis Fined And Warned

League Two's Mansfield Town have fined Jacob Mellis two weeks' wages and warned him about his future conduct. The 28 year old was suspended by the club, along with Dion Donohue, last week following an incident in Mansfield town centre. The pair had been released on bail following the incident and Mellis offered an "unreserved apology" via a statement on Saturday. Mansfield released a statement which read: "Mansfield Town Football Club will not compromise on the high standards of conduct it expects at all times from its employees. An investigation is ongoing into the alleged serious breach of club discipline by Dion Donohue. The midfielder remains suspended during this investigation."

 


Trotters Given Expulsion Warnings And Tuesday Deadline

Bolton Wanderers takeover by Football Ventures could be too little too late, as the English Football League has warned the League One club to complete the sale now or provide evidence they can complete this season. The consequences of failing to do so will be expulsion from the league itself. An EFL statement told them: "The current situation cannot continue. If a successful conclusion to a sale is not found or there are no credible plans for the club to continue the season in administration by the planned board meeting at 17:00 BST on Tuesday 27 August 2019, then the EFL board will consider lifting the suspension on the notice of withdrawal of the club's membership of the league. While it is understood as recently as (Friday) the parties were once again in a position to complete the formalities, there appears to be additional frustrating delays that are only serving to have a negative and detrimental impact. The EFL urges all parties to communicate and come together to find the necessary and final solutions so that Bolton Wanderers can start to plan for its long-term future and end months of uncertainty for all those associated with the club, in particular the players, staff, supporters and the local Bolton community."

 


Comoros Squad Named

The coach of Comoros, Amir Abdou, has named a 20-man squad for next month's two-legged 2022 World Cup qualifier against Togo.
Comoros squad
Goalkeepers: Al Ahamada (Kongsvinger, Norway), Salim Ben Boina (Martigues, France)
Defenders: Chaker Alhadhur (Chateauroux, France), Ali Mohamed Abdallah (Olympique Marseille, France), Safwan Mbae (Monaco, France), Kassim Mdahoma (Bourg-en-Bresse, France), Bendjaloud Youssouf (AJ Auxerre, France), Camal Youssoufa (Bobigny, France)
Midfielders: Nadjim Abdou (Martigues, France), Fouad Bachirou (Malmö, Sweden), Said Bakari (RKC Waalwijk, Netherlands), Youssouf M'Changama (Grenoble, France), Ancoub Mze Ali (Racing Lens, France), Andhum Simba (Volcan Club)
Forwards: Ben El Fardou (Red Star Belgrade, Serbia), Nasser Chamed (Gaz Metan Medias, Romania), Ibroihim Djoudja (African Stars, Namibia), Ali M'Madi (Andrezieux, France), Faiz Selemani (Kortrijk, Belgium), Mohamed Youssouf (AJ Ajaccio, France).

 


Jaidi Dismisses Tunisia Rumours

Former Southampton defender and current Under-23 coach at the club, Radhi Jaidi, has dismissed rumours linking him with taking over from Alain Giresse as head coach of the Tunisian national team. Jaidi played for Tunisia for around 13 years and told the BBC: "I'm enjoying my time in Southampton. I'm looking forward to getting more knowledge from the number of experts in the club. When my time comes, I will take it."

 


Luis Could Have Gone To Man City In The Summer

Brazilian former Chelsea defender Filipe Luis has claimed he had a number of other options on the table, including Manchester City, before choosing to return home to join Flamengo. Luis told Globo Esporte: "From January until March I had an offer from Manchester City, but it didn't work out. There was a call from Juninho Pernambucano to go to Lyon, but I said I could only give an answer after the Copa America and they ended up signing someone else. There was Turkey, China, a number of countries that called, but none of them felt right in my heart at the time. I had a contract with Atletico and an absurd offer came in [from PSG], one that I couldn't refuse. I went to Atletico and said 'if you let me leave, I'd appreciate it', especially because Gabi had just left. But they said no, it was impossible for me to leave because they would have to sign another left-back and there wasn't enough time for that. I didn't want to fight with Atletico, though, and in the end it didn't go ahead, but the offer was there and I was close. In the end I had three or four proposals to consider, and then you have to choose. But I see that one club calls me, then the director of another one... it's a long list. There's this club but it can't afford my wages, then another one but it doesn't want to be champion, so bye! So, a lot of things were happening and in the end I closed some important doors, like Borussia. It was a very good offer, but I didn't feel it in my heart. Even though I had the same thing with the fans (a good relationship with Flamengo's), I didn't feel that passion to say, 'I want to go to Borussia'."

Written by Tris Burke August 25 2019 22:51:43

 

Discuss rumours and transfers on our Chelsea rumours web page

 

Discuss rumours and transfers on our Southampton rumours web page